Sunday, July 7, 2013

Patched Works 100 Blocks of Summer–Block 36

JEN_36Block of the day: #36

Section: Triangles

Featured Quilter:  Jen

Jen says:  When I first looked through this book, I couldn’t figure out why all the math was “wrong” in the half square triangle section.  Silly me, I didn’t read the directions.  I’m a Half Square Triangle Paper kind of girl – that’s my favorite method.  I’ll admit, I used Tula’s Method on the blocks that had 1 or 2 half square triangles but on the rest, I defaulted to my pack of Triangle Paper.  What can I say, I’m a creature of habit!!  This block features a 3” Finished HST if you’d like to use a different method than what is listed on page 85. 

Here’s a quick overview of Tula’s Method:

2013-07-07 11.03.50Step 1:  Cut two squares.  For this block they were each 3-1/2”

 

 

 

2013-07-07 11.05.10Step 2:  Using a straight edge draw a diagonal line from corner to corner.  I use my trusty Sewline Ceramic Pencil.

 

 

2013-07-07 11.06.34Step 3:  Layer your squares.  Sew diagonally on the line.  If you machine has a single hole plate, using it will keep those corners from sucking down into the hole.

 

 

2013-07-07 11.06.58

Step 4:  Cut 1/4” away from your sewn line.  I use my Add-A-Quarter ruler for nice, easy and quick cuts.

 

 

 

2013-07-07 11.07.12

2013-07-07 11.07.43

Step 5: You now have a sewn section and extra triangles.  Iron your half square triangle open, keeping the darker triangle on top. 

 

Additional blocks made by:  Lisa & Mary

LISA_36 MARY_36

Julie says:  Are you having a hard time keeping track of which blocks you’ve made?  Use this handy check off sheet:  http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/hundredschart/hundreds-chart-filled_WNRTB.pdf


We encourage you to take pictures of your blocks and upload them to our Tula Pink 100 Blocks of Summer Flickr Group. If technology isn’t your thing, bring your blocks into the shop and we’ll snap a picture of them and upload them on your behalf. 

You can also keep up with our progress in many places: here on our Patched Works Fabric Jules Blog, by visiting our website or by  Following us on Facebook!

It’s never too late to join the fun.  Stop in the shop to find out more about how to get started. 

It’s always a party at Patched Works!

1 comment:

  1. I have found your posting of blocks daily to be VERY inspiring. I am in the midst of another project I don't dare abandon (or it will become a UFO) but as soon as it is finished I am jumping into the Tula 100!

    ReplyDelete