Friday, March 28, 2014

Loyal Union Sampler Block C-8 Diamond Star

Diamond Star is pieced per the directions on page 33.

C-8 Diamond Star


C-8 Julie Q Julie Q – Scrumptious by MODA

Julie Q says: To make this block I followed the directions in the book. Again, I pressed all my seams open so my block would lie flat. Just a few notes on choosing fabric for each block. All the Quiltie Ladies are turning in these blocks as we sew them, so you can see them in the shop. In order to remember which fabrics I used in each block, and so I wouldn’t use the same fabrics again and again, I cut the selvage strip from each of my Moda Scrumptious fabrics and glued them onto a file folder before I started. I went through my blocks and tried to pre-select the colors for all the blocks. I’m glad I did this because I could see rather quickly that I wasn’t using much of the red or the teal, and I love those colors! Think about pre-selecting your colors. You can always change your mind when you’re sewing the actual block…as I’ve done a few times already!


C-8 Leslie Leslie – Midwinter Reds by MODA

Leslie says: You will enjoy step 4 – it is a clever way to make 4 quick flying geese units.

 

 

 

 


C-8 Julia Julia – Eclectic Electricity

Julia says: If power goes out in just one part of your house, that means a fuse or something was blown. Simply go to your switchboard and turn the appropriate switch that coordinates with the room of power outage and switch off then on. Repeat if problem persists. Then probably call someone, like an electrician.

 


C-8 Stephanie Stephanie – Downton Abbey

Stephanie says: This was a fun block to make and I chose to use the directions from the book for this one. Keep it simple and choose one print that you really want to stand out on your sampler.

Be careful on Step 1. Remember that it’s just cutting your background fabric there. I looked at the letters listed in step 1 and at the coordinating picture and thought I needed to cut some of the ‘blue’ fabric there too. I ended up with two squares of ‘blue’ that I didn’t need!


C-8 KarenDLD Julie: Elm Creek Quilts; The Giving Quilt This block was put together by PW Customer Karen VDL.

Karen VDL says:  I love using a heat erasable marking pen when making diagonal lines. I know any marks will disappear when I press my block and even if they didn’t it would be ok because I’m not using that pen anywhere that it would be visible from the front of my block.


C-8 Kelli Kelli – Civil War Reproduction

Kelli says: In following the directions for half square triangles and flying geese units, the Sewline pencil is a great option. It comes in many colors (Normal lead, white, pink, yellow and green) and is erasable.

 

 

 


C-8 Lisa K

Additional block by Lisa K.

 

 

 

 

 

 


We encourage you to take pictures of your blocks and upload them to our Loyal Union Sampler Flickr Group. If technology isn’t your thing, bring your blocks into the shop and we’ll snap a picture of them and upload them on your behalf. 

You can also keep up with our progress in many places: here on our Patched Works Fabric Jules Blog,  by Following us on Facebook or on Instagram (#patchedworks & #loyalunionsampler)

It’s never too late to join the fun.  Stop in the shop to find out more about how to get started. 

It’s always a party at Patched Works!

No comments:

Post a Comment