Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Loyal Union Sampler Block C-4 Crossroads

Crossroads is pieced per the directions on page 30 and template patterns on pages 108 & 109.
C-4 Crossroads



C-4 Jen Jen – “Sparkler” Fat Stack, a beautiful blend of Purple, Blue and Green Kona Solids

Jen says: I learned from making Sylvia’s Bridal Sampler that I personally do not have the patience to sew teeny tiny 45 degree diamonds for a 6” block by machine along with the teeny tiny y-seams. I’m more willing to do this in a 12” block! On the other hand, I LOVE to English Paper Piece so even though I knew it would take me much longer, I opted to cut all of the templates out of card stock, baste my fabric to them and hand piece my block together (if you’re machine piecing, you still need to trace and cut out the templates). I know this method isn’t for everyone but it yields me perfect blocks every time. For me, I think the few blocks in this sampler that have these teeny tiny diamonds, it’s a worth while adventure if you give yourself enough time and don’t leave them until the very end.


C-4 Stephanie Stephanie – Downton Abbey
Stephanie says: Holy Y-Seams! I mentioned in my first block post that this is the first sampler that I’ve done. Well here’s another first, Y-seams. Super intimidating from the amount of fellow quilters that I hear complain about them. And, with good reason!! They’re tricky to line up and get to lay flat. I learned about Y-seams from an old blog post by Fresh Lemon Quilts that came up in a Google search. With a little faith and a lot of chocolate (it was Valentine’s Day when I pieced this block) I conquered Y-seams and you can too! It may not look perfect when you’re done but Jen assures me it looks fine when they’re all put together!
Give yourself some excess fabric for the outer edges so you can trim down your block to size.

  
C-4 Lisa KAdditional block by Lisa K.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 


We encourage you to take pictures of your blocks and upload them to our Loyal Union Sampler Flickr Group. If technology isn’t your thing, bring your blocks into the shop and we’ll snap a picture of them and upload them on your behalf. 

You can also keep up with our progress in many places: here on our Patched Works Fabric Jules Blog,  by Following us on Facebook or on Instagram (#patchedworks & #loyalunionsampler)

It’s never too late to join the fun.  Stop in the shop to find out more about how to get started. 
It’s always a party at Patched Works!

No comments:

Post a Comment