Friday, February 21, 2014

Loyal Union Sampler Block B-6 Charlie Stokey’s Star

Charlie Stokey’s Star is pieced per the directions on page 24 and templates on pages 107 & 108 OR Paper Pieced using the Supplemental Packet offered at Patched Works.

B-6 Charlie Stokey's Star 


B-6 Julie Q Julie Q – Scrumptious by MODA

Julie Q Says:  This was an interesting little block - 53 pieces in just 6 1/2 inches!! To reduce bulk I pressed all my seams open whenever possible. I also used steam to help press the seams. The Clover fork pins were very helpful in keeping all the little seams open for piecing. This block entails a lot of piecing so be sure to take your time, pin your pieces and sew slowly. You'll end up with what I think is one of the most beautiful blocks in the book!


B-6 Stephanie Stephanie – Downton Abbey

Stephanie says:  I had a lot of fun with this block.  I wanted to use my fabrics to play with different tones of one color, purple.  I was slightly intimidated by the very fine points of this star, but after having such good luck with paper piecing in the first few blocks I thought, I Can Do This!!!  And it turned out great!  I chose to use one of the larger prints for the center block and fussy cut it to showcase the pretty flower pattern.  This is an amazing block and I would love to do it again, maybe bigger or as a single wall hanging.

While fussy cutting for the center block, make sure you give yourself plenty of room.  Mine is slightly off center and it's probably the only thing I'd change if I could re-do it.

Get creative with your fabric choices!  This one is elegant and I think the Dowager Countess (Dame Maggie Smith!) would approve!


B-6 Lisa Lisa – Lario by MODA

Lisa says: Pinning Helps to get things to match- I marked each piece on the foundation paper with color to keep them straight.

Did you notice that by paper piecing this block we were able to eliminate the Y-seams to make this an easier block to piece?

Such a pretty block!


B-6 Jen

Jen – “Sparkler” Fat Stack, a beautiful blend of Purple, Blue and Green Kona Solids

Jen says:  I loved this block so much I decided to make it after the fact.  My block doesn’t pack quite the same punch as Stephanie’s because of my monochromatic palette but it’s going to look awesome in my sampler!

 

 


B-6 Lisa K

Additional block made by Lisa K.

 

 

 

 

 

 


We encourage you to take pictures of your blocks and upload them to our Loyal Union Sampler Flickr Group. If technology isn’t your thing, bring your blocks into the shop and we’ll snap a picture of them and upload them on your behalf. 

You can also keep up with our progress in many places: here on our Patched Works Fabric Jules Blog,  by Following us on Facebook or on Instagram (#patchedworks & #loyalunionsampler)

It’s never too late to join the fun.  Stop in the shop to find out more about how to get started. 

It’s always a party at Patched Works!

No comments:

Post a Comment