Friday, January 17, 2014

Loyal Union Sampler Block A-5 Antietam

Block A-5 Antietam is template pieced per the directions on page 16 and template patterns on page 106 OR Paper Pieced using the Supplemental Packet offered at Patched Works. 
A-5 Antietam

A-5 Stephanie
Stephanie – Downton Abbey
Stephanie says:  This is my first block ever using paper piecing! When I was trying to choose which fabrics to use for this block from the Downton Abbey collection, I kept going back to what I know about the Battle of Antietam-- it was bloody. I must admit that I've not read Jennifer Chiaverini's book that the sampler is based on, so I can only associate it with my own Civil War knowledge. I pulled the deep burgundy and blacks from the collection and balanced it with the tan background. It provides a very dramatic, dark looking block. I like it, and how it will clash with other combinations in the Loyal Union Sampler, much like the country was clashing at the time. Write the color of the fabric you've picked on the paper pieces. When joining the main sections together, press the seams open, not to one side.

A-5 Jen
Jen – “Sparkler” Fat Stack, a beautiful blend of Purple, Blue and Green Kona Solids
Jen says:  I paper pieced my block.  Once all of my sections were pieced and I was ready to assemble my sections I took stock of how much paper bulk was going to be in my seam allowances while I was sewing.  With each section that I attached, I ironed open the seam and then removed the paper from the seam allowance.  This cut down on bulk while adding additional sections to these pieces. This gives you a flatter block over all and will make paper removal easier. Carefully remove your paper from your blocks as you go so that quilt assembly later on isn’t so painful.


A-5 Lisa K

Additional block by Lisa K.

 

 

 

 

 

 


We encourage you to take pictures of your blocks and upload them to our Loyal Union Sampler Flickr Group. If technology isn’t your thing, bring your blocks into the shop and we’ll snap a picture of them and upload them on your behalf. 

You can also keep up with our progress in many places: here on our Patched Works Fabric Jules Blog,  by Following us on Facebook or on Instagram (#patchedworks & #loyalunionsampler)

It’s never too late to join the fun.  Stop in the shop to find out more about how to get started. 

It’s always a party at Patched Works!

No comments:

Post a Comment